Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jun 11, 2001  9:35 pm
Subject:  New competition for opera singers OVER age 33!! (fwd)

FYI

Karen
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Own Website
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ I sing hymns with my spirit, +
+ but I also sing hymns with my mind. +
+ - 1 Corinthians 14:15 +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:10:50 -0400
From: "Debra A.S. Olivia" <DASO@e...>
Newsgroups: rec.music.opera
Subject: New competition for opera singers OVER age 33!!

Hello gang ~

Vera Scammon, opera singer and teacher for more than 30 years (primarily at
Indiana University), has asked that I distribute the enclosed press release.
Vera is a passionate musician who is dedicated to supporting all singers, but
especially the talented non-traditional singers. A lovely woman, she has
organized a fund and will be holding the first competition in October for
singers OVER the age of 33. I encourage anyone interested, to read more about
Vera's career and competition at http://www.verascammonsoscompetition.com/

Best wishes to you all.
Debra <ATTACHMENT BELOW>
* * * * *
Debra A.S. Olivia
daso@e...
"In eternity everything is just beginning."
~Elias Canetti

VERA SCAMMON ANNOUNCES THE

S.O.S. (SUPPORTING OUR SINGERS) VOCAL COMPETITION

Vera created the S.O.S. (Supporting Our Singers) Fund early last year to help
fill a tremendous void for singers over the age of 33. "It is extremely
difficult for these singers to enter competitions, everything is set up for
younger people. This is a vastly overlooked population of singers."

"Even though I am no longer connected with a University, I continue to see
fabulous talent from singers who are no longer eligible for many competitions
and funding because of their age. I wanted to encourage the singers to keep
singing and keep at their passion - and if they have funds they will." Vera is
very passionate about helping these singers follow their dreams.

Vera recorded and released "Vera Scammon Celebrates 78" this is her second CD
and she recorded this CD with the Musica Sacra Chamber Orchestra. Dr. Michael
Shasberger Conducting. All proceeds from the sale of the CDs go to the S.O.S.
Fund, Supporting Our Singers over 33 years of age.

Vera announced today that the S.O.S. Fund will sponsor its first competition,
it will be at the Hope United Methodist Church, Corner of Belleview & Dayton,
in Denver, Colorado, on October 4 & 5, 2001, with the Gala Concert of Winners
on Saturday Evening October 6, 2001 7:30PM. It is the first competition of its
kind.

To enter the competition singers must: be at least 33 years of age on or before
October 4, 2001; they must submit a copy of their birth certificate or
passport; a vocal resume of one page only; a tape or CD of 3 operatic arias
(one in English); a Photograph; a "Mission statement" of 50 words or less
(which will be part of the adjudication) stating why they are still passionate
about singing and how any award money would enhance their ability to continue
their career. They must be under no management or agency; complete an
application and pay a non-refundable fee of $20.00 payable to: Vera Scammon
S.O.S. Fund. The entry deadline is August 15, 2001, and no late entries
accepted. All materials (CD/tape; photo; statement) become the property of Vera
Scammon S.O.S. Competition and will not be returned.

Cash Awards for the competition include: The Diamond Award: $8,000.00 plus a
guest appearance with the Utah Festival Opera Orchestra; The Gold Award - The
Ginny Fitch Memorial Award: $4,000.00 plus a guest appearance with the Jackson,
Michigan Symphony Orchestra; The Silver Award: $2,000.00 plus a performance
with the Colorado Opera Troupe; and The Bronze Award - Vera Scammon Personal
Award: $1,000.00.

The competition finals judges are James King, International Heldentenor; Dr.
Michael Ballam, General Director of Utah Festival Opera, International Tenor;
Regina Sarfaty Rickless, International Operatic Mezzo-Soprano; Jeanne-Michele
Charbonnet, International Dramatic Soprano; and Richard Cowan, Founder and
Director of the "Festival Lyrique de Belle Ile en Mer" Located in Brittany,
Western France.

For a more information and a complete list of rules please see the Vera Scammon
SOS Competition website at www.verascammonsoscompetition.com

emusic.com