Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Jun 11, 2001  8:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] 2Be out 2 litl kids?

>From: "stjames" <stjames@l...>
Lisa said....>
> > My
> > intention is not to keep this information from my kids. I just don't see
> > what benefit their is to having a 4-5-6 year old knowing what being gay
>is
> > about.
>
>James here.....
>
>At this age you don't have to give them the full adult explanation.

True. I remember reading a story years ago about a father who came upon his
six-year-old daughter and two playmates dressed in bright Halloween costumes
and lots of junk jewelry. He asked what they were doing, and his darling
little girl replied that they were "hookers." After recovering from his
faint, he realized that the girls didn't know what "hookers" DID exactly
(when he gave a careful, age-appropriate explanation, he got a response of
"ew, gross!"). What they had seen on TV or wherever were girls who got to
wear pretty, spangly Barbie clothes and stay out with their friends as late
as they wanted.