Vocalist.org archive

From:  Line Gingras <lgingras@c...>
Date:  Sat Apr 29, 2000  1:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Reincarnations and Trois Chansons

Hello Shanna,

I had the opportunity to sing the "Trois Chansons" by Debussy 20 years
ago, as I was finishing my studies at Laval University, in Quebec City.
French is my first language, by the way. I don't have the music with me,
and I am not a professional musician, but I remember the pieces well
enough, especially the second and the third (at least the alto part,
even the words in "Quant j'ai ouy le tabourin" and those of the quartet
in "Yver, vous n'estes qu'un villain"). More specifically, I remember
that the pronunciation we used was mostly quite similar to the one we
would use in modern French, even though the spelling is often different;
for example, we would not pronounce the first "s" in "n'estes" (of
course we did not pronounce the second one either!). What would you need
to know exactly? I would be surprised if nobody on the List were more
qualified than I am to help you (and there might be some written sources
that would be helpful), but I would do my best in the limited time I
have...

Line

emusic.com