Vocalist.org archive

From:  promero@w...
promero@w...
Date:  Sun Jun 10, 2001  5:18 pm
Subject:  2Be out?

Here's my ackward question of the week:

How much does being "out" affect the classical singer nowadays? By
out I don't mean running up to every single person and shouting "I'm
gay, break out the confetti!" etc. but, for example, attending social
gatherings, museums, concerts, etc. with your partner and/or living
with your partner without keeping up a 'cover' but basically just
living as an ordinary couple without making a fuss about it.
I understand that it would cause trouble being employed by some
churches (for example, for one of the two persbyterian churches and
the UUs it's a non-Issue, but it would be an issue for the southern
baptists and the christian Scientists), but moving beyond that as in
orchestra-level and concert hall/opera house world, what's the
gamble/risk? I guess the question is: do you WANT to be famous when
it costs you your personal life? The way I see it nobody should give
a f- damn who you like as long as you can sing bloody good, but if
that isn't the case... would you rather be Famous and lonely or in a
mad depression because every relationship you have (and they're not
gonna last) has to be 'under the table' ?

I realize our society is stupidly puritanical (yeah, we're still
dragging THAT stigma along), but out of all places I don't think it
SHOULD matter here, in Opera/classical singing! If that is so,
however, then it's sad. Then again, to the fact that so far there are
no known gay opera singers... Shouldn't it be about time? And I mean
that not as in hoping that someday people will point and say "LOOK!
it's a gay opera singer!" But be more like "Oh, he's a nice/good
singer, alright" without the bloody 'gay' label popping up anywhere
(in my ideal world, it has no reason to pop up anywhere BUT in your
relationship).

promero@w...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12567 Re: 2Be out? Lisa Miller   Mon  6/11/2001   4 KB
12570 Re: 2Be out? Karen Mercedes   Mon  6/11/2001   4 KB
12572 Re: 2Be out? Lisa Miller   Mon  6/11/2001   5 KB
12574 Re: 2Be out? John Link   Mon  6/11/2001   2 KB
12580 Re: 2Be out? Karen Mercedes   Mon  6/11/2001   3 KB
12573 Re: 2Be out? Lisa Miller   Mon  6/11/2001   2 KB
12571 Re: 2Be out? John Link   Mon  6/11/2001   2 KB
12593 Re: 2Be out? promero@w...   Tue  6/12/2001   6 KB
12594 Re: 2Be out? Lisa Miller   Tue  6/12/2001   3 KB

emusic.com