Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cflines@a...
Cflines@a...
Date:  Sun Jun 10, 2001  2:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: Thyroid Biopsy

The next step after an indeterminate needle aspiration is a frozen section of
the nodule, which requires surgery. Rather than remove a section for the
process, knowing the result might require surgery if cancer was found, the
surgeon opted to remove the right lobe entirely, which is standard procedure,
I was told. There was no cancer, and I have not had hormone therapy,
luckily, as the left lobe is capable of producing enough to make up for the
missing right lobe. If you need a surgeon, I can recommend one who trains
other surgeons in this surgery, and this is the only type of surgery he does,
all day long, he informed me. My impression in speaking with him was that
the risk to the recurrent nerve is minimal, if you have a good surgeon. You
may e-mail me privately.

Carol Lines

emusic.com