Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zürcher" <az@c...>
Date:  Fri Apr 28, 2000  10:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Support (was "faching up")

Jennifer wrote :

<< The best way I can describe it (apology in advance for the rudeness) is
similar to being
constipated and trying to go - both in terms of the pressure in the lower
abdominal area (although not quite as great) and in the pressure I feel
between my eyes, like I'm holding my breath. The first time it happened I
thought my sinuses were going to explode! The good part is that between my
lower abdominal muscles and my sinuses I don't feel much of anything except
relaxation. Does anyone else feel this when they're singing?>>

Whenever we discover a new sensation and technique, we tend to overdo it.
IMO, your description is a bit extreme. You will certainly discover
different variants and degrees of the same principle.
For example, you may wonder from where you will expire, since it is
impossible to sing by only pushing down and not letting air be consumed in
the process of singing. If pushing down very low results in depressing your
rib cage or your epigastric area, you may want to try and push less or less
low, or to expire from your lower abdomen while keeping "inspiring" (which
would mean "pushing down" in a much more relaxed and distributed way) all
around your waist and above.

| Alain Zürcher, Paris, France
| L'Atelier du Chanteur :
| http://chanteur.net