Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Jun 6, 2001  9:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Memorization?

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 roses41usa@n... wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any "helpful hints" for the
> memorization of opera arias. No matter how hard I try, can't seem to
> remember the words. I usually stumble on a word or two, and then the
> whole thing falls apart. It gets worse when I actually add the
> accompaniment. Is there a way to memorize lyrics quickly and
> easily? If so, I haven't found it!

1) Do your own literal translation, using dictionary and 501 Verbs in the
language of the aria. Write the translation words in, in pencil, in the
score of the aria so they are always there to remind you of the exact
meaning of each word.

2) Do your own IPA of the pronunciation of the aria. Write the IPA in, in
pencil. This helps reinforce thinking about the words in relation to the
notes.

3) Keep the meaning of what you are singing - each word - firmly in mind
as you prepare the aria vocally, musically, and ultimately interpretively.

4) Repeat repeat repeat. The only sure-fire way I've found to memorize
arias - indeed, ANY music - is frequent, meaningful repetition: by
"meaningful" I mean keeping item #3 in mind at all times. Never just
*vocalise* the aria. Even when "marking", always think about what the
words mean that you are singing.

I've found that the times when I've struggled to remember a word are the
times when I've stopped remembering what the text means, and started
merely making sounds.

Karen Mercedes
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html