Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Wed Jun 6, 2001  8:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Repertoire

"Lisa M. Nuske" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I am in the process of putting together some material for a recital that I
> hope to do within the first term or two of grad school. It will be called
> "Hanging Gardens", and I am looking for music having specifically to do with
> flowers and gardens.
>
> I have gone through my Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Faure, and Debussy in my
> quest - does anyone have any suggestions of repertoire from other composers
> that would fit this theme?

There are some nice folk songs which must have been arranged many times.
I think of "I sowed the seeds of love" which was arranged by cecil
Sharp, but I'm sure a search will show up other versions. And I did "To
people who have gardens" (For day's work and week's work as I go up and
down, there are many gardens all about the town) arranged by Betty Roe.
Can't find my copy (ah, c'mon, it's only 6 months since my latest move,
and 6 months since the previous one, you expect me to have opened all my
boxes yet?) but I think it was from the collection called A Garland of
Folksongs.

Has anyone suggested Le Violette by Scarlatti? Das Veilchen by Mozart?

And not exactly _about_ gardens, but taking place in a garden, if it's
not too far off your brief, there's The Fuchsia Tree by Roger Quilter,
which is short but very beautiful.

And again slightly off-track, Tchaikovsky's Legend, about the boy Jesus
growing the roses in his garden and the taunting children crowning him
with the thorns after he had allowed them to take the flowers.

cheers

Linda

emusic.com