Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Jun 4, 2001  4:16 pm
Subject:  Re: Who are hautes-contres?

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., > is actually maintaining that kind of focussed light sound like the
> head voice so as to switch between the two registers without any
> break???If that is the case,it would easier for tenors to sing haute
> contre.

Yes, it is a lot easier for a natural tenor to sing haute contre,
since the 'heavy' registration (full vibrating fold length) is not all
that heavy. Remember, though, that no one, even an altino sings a high
A in pure chest voice. There is a lightening of the technique, even if
the basic chest mechanism is still in use. There are some that can
make the change so gradually that there is no apparent switchover
point, even to the singer himself. Then it is possible for a baritone
to do it, since they have much more range in which to change over.

My guess is that the bari part for Carmina Burana might have been for
a singer who could do this...

> What do u mean by the pop tenors are using the haute contre
> registrational trategy, albeit not the style???Could u further
> explain???

Most pop tenors singing a high C are not doing it like an operatic
tenor. They have already switched to the lighter mechanism by then.
Most operatic tenors are using what some might call 'head voice' but
it is still built on the basic chest mechanism. Pop tenors are using
what some called 'reinforced falsetto'.

Tako

emusic.com