Vocalist.org archive

From:  chenweijie81@y...
chenweijie81@y...
Date:  Mon Jun 4, 2001  5:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Overuse of "high" notes

Dear Graham,
thanks for your reply.Maybe I have been trying to sing too
many high notes.Actually I am not exactly "losing" my high notes.It's
just that it could be the reason of overuse in "high" notes" that I
am not singing as comfortable as I used to sing with those high
notes.I would like to clarify that what I am refering as C5 is
definitely not middle C.Using my own chromatic pitch instrument,it is
a tenor high C.If u are still confused,the notes are in ascending
order : Middle C D E F G A B C.The last note which is a C is what I
am refering to.I think u should be clear enough by now.And frankly
speaking,it must be really easy for u to produce those high notes of
mine comparing to me.By the way,do u think that a baritone could
actually sing a C6???A lot of people would probably say "no".I wonder
in the olden days,how did the singers get such wide range???This is
not only limited to opera singers.I also found that pop singers in
the old days could sing really high notes without using their
falsetoo.They must have gone through a lot of vocal training.In
addition,do high notes come more easily for tenors than baritones???
What I mean is that going through the same training,it seems as
though tenors are able to get their high notes in a shorter time than
baritones.It do sounds a bit hard to imagine that some composers of
the past also require the baritones to sing high "F" and "G"s.Anyway
the singers themselves in the past are such great singers who seemed
to have more access and comfort to sing those high notes than singers
nowadays.Afterall my choral conductor have told me before that there
was once a Russian bass who can vocalise all the way to Soprano high C
(C6)!!!I think I know the feeling of head voice in my head.It comes
as bright and u can feel your head buzzing at a strong sensation. And
the higher u go,the chest vibration will slowly disappear.Now that I
have to come back to the topic,how do u strength and gain back those
strong beautiful high notes???What kind of vocal exercises should I
do???Hopefully please don't give me those difficult and high notes
vocal exercises.I think that might worsen the condition.Thanks a
lot!!!

From young voice of 19 yr old Baritone
Weijie

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., > On Monday, May 28, 2001, at 04:33 Uhr, chenweijie81@y... wrote:
> > ?My
> > sense tells me that I should not vocalise C5 and D5 anymore and
> > concentrate on vocalising my lower notes.Any vocalising exercises
> > strength and retain my "lost" notes???Thanks a lot!!!
>
> Well, it could be because you have been trying to sing to many high
> notes, or it could be the result of not singing for awhile, it
could be
> a medical problem. There are many reasons, why someone can loose
high
> notes. Reading between the lines of your post, my feeling is that
you
> need to look at how you are singing the high notes. I am not quite
sure
> which note you are talking about with C5. Is this a tenor high C
or is
> this middle C ? I would make a difference. I kind of think that
it is
> middle C. If it is then your C and D are not high notes for a
> baritone. This would indicate to me that you have not learned to
change
> registers, since a middle C and D in full chest for a baritone is
> pushing the limit a bit. But as I said, this is reading between
the
> lines.
> Ciao,
>
> Graham Sanders