Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@b...>
"Sandra" <sandra@b...>
Date:  Sat Jun 2, 2001  12:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Bartoli this, Bartoli that....

> Her singing has never offended me, and sometimes has created some truly
> beautiful singing and truly affecting interpretations. I find her
> coloratura less-than-fluid for my tastes,

OK, since it seems most people have mostly glowing remarks, I'm chiming in.
I think for the most part this voice is one capable of remarkable beauty and
her expressive powers are sometimes very impressive. (Never seen her live,
just recorded video and audio.)

However, I find some aspects of her coloratura annoying. Someone once said
on this list as relates to this singer (and Von Stade), singing fast just
for the sake of singing fast is not a great feat. I think SOMETIMES Bartoli
sacrifices the beauty she is capable of for speed. And there is one thing
she does with her voice in her coloratura, I assume it is her version of a
trill, that absolutely drives me nuts. It's not a real trill, it's some
kind of little cheating technique or "short-cut"-anyone else know what I'm
talking about? No matter how beautiful what she does up to that point, this
trill-ish thing makes my hair stand on end. I wonder to myself why someone
with such talent would use a "special effect" that sounds so bad. If ANYONE
else knows what I'm talking about, please let me know what you think of it.

I do feel that her sound is largely "manufactured". I don't know what
"natural voice type" I would call her because I can't pick out her "natural
sound" from the manufactured sound. That said, I respect greatly that she
can so masterfully manipulate her voice to achieve the vocal timbre and
colorations she wishes (exception- the trill thing).

Having said that, I'd still take her voice in a heartbeat. She's much
better than me ;> As for her faces, I could care less. I know this is
going to sound like heresy, I'm very willing to tolerate contortions and
gyrations for a beautiful sound.

Sandra

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12429 Re: Trill was Bartoli this, Bartoli that.... Nancy Fontana   Mon  6/4/2001   5 KB

emusic.com