Vocalist.org archive

From:  Vicki Bryant <MezzoNotte@e...>
Vicki Bryant <MezzoNotte@e...>
Date:  Fri Jun 1, 2001  10:10 pm
Subject:  How we get "in the zone"

Hi, Vocalisters,

As I approach a full length solo recital next week, I've been trying
to decide how to occupy myself all day without wearing myself out
(I've got the whole day off, and the recital is at 8:00 pm).

My usual routine is to try to distract myself completely. The last
time I did a full recital, I was in the middle of reading Tolstoy's
"Anna Karenina", so I had my nose in the book almost up until I had to
go onstage. I find that if I don't distract myself, I start to freeze
up. I also have found that I need to be by myself; having other
people around me in the last hour or so before performing makes me
crazy.

On the other hand, another friend of mine who does recitals on a
frequent basis prefers to hang out and talk with friends right up to
the last minute.

What do you all do to keep your sanity on a heavy performance day?

-- Vicki Bryant mailto:MezzoNotte@e...
Naperville, IL

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12376 Re: How we get "in the zone" Karen Mercedes   Sat  6/2/2001   2 KB
12395 Re: How we get "in the zone" Margaret Harrison   Sat  6/2/2001   3 KB
12434 Re: How we get "in the zone" John Alexander Blyth   Mon  6/4/2001   4 KB

emusic.com