Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri Jun 1, 2001  4:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Bartoli this, Bartoli that....

I think she's remarkable, based on recordings. People I know who have heard
her live have a variety of comments: small voice, pushed in a large hall;
great stage presence and star quality; joy in making music. My wife saw her
at the Met (which is a gargantuan hall) and was able to enjoy her a great
deal, maybe she kept close to the sweet spots on the stage there? She isn't
exactly what I would necessarily want from a mezzo voice (and definitely
not from a soprano), either in technique or timbre, but she's marvellous
nonetheless. john

At 01:03 AM 6/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I have heard many clashing opinions concerning roman mezzo Cecilia
Bartoli. Just being in the states recently, I've never had the chance to
listen to the madam live, only her CDs and her 1996 "CENERENTOLA" at the
Houston Grand Opera (it was telecasted) and a very early (1988) video of
the Barber of Seville. While the two opera videos give me a somewhat good
idea of what she is like onstage, I prefer not to make a definitive opinion
of a singer until i hear him or her onstage. I was wondering if anyone has
any comments or personal views on Miss Bartoli (she's still a miss,
right??), just out of personal curiosity (i already have parts of an
opinion on her)... singers affect people in a very different way...and
-delightfully- among singers you can find an even wider spectrum of
opinions... so, be it flame or water, let 'em loose for a newbie's
curiosity? :)