Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
"Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Fri Jun 1, 2001  12:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Power Performance for Singers Workshop

> i have quoted bernstein on this before. he said "you know you
have put
> yourself into a piece when there is a complete erasure of ego".
all this
> talk of 'loving the audience', 'taking ownership', 'giving',
'taking', etc.
> is all about ego and not about the material.

I like this take on the thread.

Also,
I think there is also a reasonable analogy with the philospher Eric
Fromm's ideas about love. Paraphrased, 'It's only when we are able to
truly love ourselves that we can love others.'
The performance analogy would be that unless we can truly enjoy the
act of performance for ourselves we can't share that enjoyment with an
audience.
I think modern society has some really big hangups about people
expressing self love and doing things solely because it gives them
pleasure. There is an implicit assumption that the act must have a
detremental effect on others because it is 'self centred'. However, if
a person doesn't understand what gives them pleasure how can they know
what gives pleasure to others.

Kevin

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12362 Rant, was:Power Performance for Singers Workshop John Alexander Blyth   Fri  6/1/2001   4 KB

emusic.com