Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Thu May 31, 2001  12:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: classical music

Dear Dean and co-vocalisters, dear children,

basically it is quite simple: classical music has class, pop music mostly has
been made to become popular.

In the past when pop music did not exist, or just sounded as another form of
what we now would call classical music, many composers (even Mozart) wrote
music to become popular, but they had a very high quality standard and followed
many rules about how to make a work of art, which helped them enormously to
write good music. And much of that music got so good that people loved it many
hundred years later, and like other things that stay 'forever', we call that
classical. The period in history when those rules were quite strong, we call
classicism: so classical music from that period we call classical: classical
classical music, so to say. But the latter is a bit complicated en confusing,
even for many grown up people.

You can forget that. Just remember, hundreds of years ago people developed a
kind of music, that was so good, many people still love it now, more than
anything else, it has class, and we call it classical music and people kept
making that kind of music for a very long time.

Some people think jazz and even some popmusic can be classical as well: I
suggest we'll talk about that in a hundred or more years again: then it's time
to judge about that, now it is too early. The same goes for the 'classical'
music some modern composers are writing nowadays.

Best greetings,

Dré

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12285 Re: classical music John Link   Thu  5/31/2001   2 KB

emusic.com