Vocalist.org archive

From:  Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Date:  Tue May 29, 2001  7:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mandy Patinkin

I pretty much agree with everything Karen says below -- I had the pleasure of
appearing with Mandy in a University of Kansas production of Pippin in the
early/mid-70s when he was a student there (just before he hit the big-time -- he
moved to NYC to attend Julliard the year after Pippin). I was 22 or 23 at the
time, as I recall, and he was a year younger than me. I sang and danced in the
chorus (in my younger/skinnier days), and he played the title role. His singing
then was quite different - more of a full "tenny-bare" sound, none of the
breathy throaty stuff we hear now (we didn't use body mikes, either, which makes
a huge difference). The real attention-getter, though, was his acting. He was
phenomenal, totally committed, very serious about getting it right, but never in
a "prima-dona"-ish way. I also saw him at KU in _The Winter's Tale_. I'm glad
he's done so well, but he does need to be careful about the roles he chooses. I
saw him in _Sunday in the Park with George_, which was brilliant, and I have the
original cast recording of _The Secret Garden_, which has some problems (but the
duet "Lily's Eyes" is still amazing).

(In my not-so-humble opinion, his best comedy role was Inigo Montoya in _The
Princess Bride_ .)

Cheers!

Lana