Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon May 28, 2001  4:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] one more "dilemma!" (Italy)

Molly McLinden wrote:

> I had the option of going this year, again. However, money was (and is) a
> large issue. It costs around 3500 to go.

My teacher, also the coordinator of this program,
> found a few ways to get some, but not all, of the money I would need to go.
> She was not done finding funds for me, when my parents and I talked and they
> told me it would be better than I come home and work....the trip is pricey,
> and besides, I already did this program.
> My teacher was disappointed I would not be going, as I would be one of the
> older ones in the group with more experience who would be representing the
> group. Not only that, I planned on helping her out with the group.

Molly, didn't you just write about financial concerns in
going to grad school? Which is more important to you to
spend scarce money on - grad school or this summer trip? It
sounds like your teacher's disappointment is more personal
to her than how it affects your development as a singer.

I'm sure you can find a summer program that is as good for
your development, costs less, and perhaps takes up less time
so you can also work to earn money for grad school. For
example, you've already had a summer in Italy. A two-week
opera workshop in the USA would give you experience just as
valuable, but something you didn't get last summer. That
would probably cost a LOT less. And if it were in commuting
distance of home, the cost would be a pittance, and there
might be financial aid available. I'm sure if you ask for
recommendations of that type of workshop on the list, and
check out listings available in Classical Singer Magazine,
you'll have lots of options from which to choose.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com