Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sun May 27, 2001  4:34 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] messa di voce

Naomi Gurt Lind wrote:

> What are the thought cues that you all use to avoid the "bump" on the
> decrescendo? Do you find certain
> tessituras easier in messa di voce?

Hi Naomi:

I use a rubber band that I slowly stretch on the crescendo and then slowly
release on the decrescendo. It gives me something to look at as well as feel
in a different part of my body that correlates to the subtle and smooth
changes in muscular activity necessary for a well executed messa di voce. It's
much easier to do a controlled contraction (slowly making a tight fist) than a
controlled relaxation (slowly releasing that tight fist), and if I think of
relaxing while I'm decrescendoing, I invariably get a bump or two. As I
crescendo the elastic is resisting my pull but I'm winning and as I
decrescendo, I'm resisting the elastic's pull, and it's winning! Does this
make any sense??? I'm a tenor and I find that A3 to F4 is the easiest range
to do a messa di voce

emusic.com