Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri May 25, 2001  4:58 pm
Subject:  Re: Who are hautes-contres?

chosdad@c... wrote:
> Thanks for your comments Tako. By the way, did you listen to the
> sound clips, and, if so, what did you think of Mr. Levy?

I've always loved altino voices, and enjoyed Mr. Levy's - thanks for
the links!

> I am curious to ask how you would define a tenor altino?

Basically an 'unchanged' voice. The kind of voice you do a double take
on the phone because it sounds like it could be a woman's. You're
right, Jon Anderson is this kind. There are altini who aren't hautes
contre, though, such as the guy from air supply, who uses a typically
tenorish registrational strategy. The 'tenor' for the Nylons is an
altino and a countertenor, but not a hautes contre, because he does
not reconcile the two techniques like Jon Anderson or Michael Jackson
do.

I suspect Yoshikazu Mera and Dominique Visse are altini who are
countertenors, and could probably easily do the haute contre thing if
they chose.

Tako

chosdad@c...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size