Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Fri May 25, 2001  3:44 pm
Subject:  Alexander/Feldenkrais

Mary Beth wrote:

>My experience with the Alexander Technique dealt mostly with the mechanics
>of body alignment, sitting, standing, and walking. Feldenkrais work
>encompasses every imaginable (and some unimaginable) movement and function
>of the body. I would also quote my current teacher, Patrick Siebert in
>Austin, TX, who explains that Feldenkrais® is not a fix-it model, but rather
>an exploratory model. I'm developing more awareness of my own habitual
>movements and tensions, and exploring alternatives for different situations
>which will result in more ease, efficiency, and enjoyment. It has been the
>most effective means for me to let go (occasionally) of being totally
>bottom-line, results oriented, deadline driven, and perfectionistic. I have
>easier access to my instrument, am able to get more with less effort, and
>move with more grace and ease on stage. The energy which was previously
>used in unnecessary muscular tension is now available to be used in greater
>expressive possibilities.

It's interesting that you say that. I view my progress with Alexander
Technique in exactly the same light! In fact your description could just
as easily be of my experience with AT. I've never tried Feldenkrais, but
many people have recommended it to me. Based on your description, I am
more interested than ever and may try a few sample lessons over the summer.

>My personal difficulty in my Alexander experiences derived from my own
>personality quirks. I found myself trying to master "the technique," to do
>what the teacher wanted, and to do it right. Because I was focused on the
>technique instead of on my own experience, I did not benefit as I know many
>others do.

This is very aptly put. I experienced this when I first started with AT,
then gradually began to let go of the habit of trying to please the
teacher. (It's still something I try to maintain in my awareness, the
tendency to want to please is so strong!) A professor I had in college
often said that the two enemies of progress are fear of failure and wanting
to do a good job. I continually learn what that means! As with any
discipline, so much depends on the teacher. I've been fortunate in having
AT teachers who address that tendency.

When I travel, I usually try to take an Alexander lesson or two wherever I
am -- to get different information and to keep myself in progress -- and
one lesson I took in London was with a lovely and highly qualified woman
who gave off such a vibe of orthodoxy that I totally tightened up and tried
to do everything "right" in order to please her and make a good impression.
It was a revealing experience and made me appreciate my teachers back home
even more. My learning style is definitely better suited to the "ok,
here's where we are today, let's work with it" approach, as opposed to the
"this is the way you must be" approach!

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com