Vocalist.org archive

From:  chosdad@c...
chosdad@c...
Date:  Thu May 24, 2001  8:39 pm
Subject:  Re: Who are hautes-contres?

Dear Tako and List:

Thanks for your comments Tako. By the way, did you listen to the
sound clips, and, if so, what did you think of Mr. Levy?

I think you make an interesting point that a haute contre is not
necessarily the same as a tenor altino...but I am curious to ask how
you would define a tenor altino? By the way, of the singers you
listed, I would think that Jon Anderson (from Yes) would fit the
"altino" description...

I'll try to get around to posting a short clip of Gene Cokeroft (the
tenor from the famouse Suntones barbershop quartet) - I believe he
would fit the example of a haute contre who is not an altino. Another
example might be "pop/jazz" singer Kenny Rankin - who has a light but
not altino tenor, and he switches to a beautiful high light "head"
voice.

Cheers,

Michael

chosdad@c...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12160 Re: Who are hautes-contres? Tako Oda   Fri  5/25/2001   2 KB
12162 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chosdad@c...   Fri  5/25/2001   2 KB

emusic.com