Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu May 24, 2001  4:26 pm
Subject:  LONG:Re: [vocalist] Welsh is Celtic, but not Gaelic

Lovely post, Karen. Impressive stuff. I'm fairly sure though, that the
Q-Celts(forebears of Irish, Scots, Manx) moved in from continental Europe
first, maybe around 3000 BCE (I think these have been associated with the
Beaker People, but I don't realy know if the is a clear correlation),
presumably displacing the aboriginal inhabitants who then became the Picti
of the slighltly less green and pleasant north (they were called the
Picti=painted ones, by the Romans - many Pictish words were absorbed into
Gaelic, and many of the place names around my home town are Pictish to this
day).
*Then*, around a thousand years later, the P-Celts (ancestors of Welsh,
Breton, Cornish) came in and dominated, being the Ancient Britons, and in
their turn pushing Q-Celtic language and culture to the margins, surviving
only on Ireland and Man(?).
The coming of the Romans, and their tendency to settle German "Foederati"
in Brittania, marginalized the P-Celts whose culture was largely effaced,
except where they in their turn now fled to the margins= the Welsh hills.
"Welsh" is an old English word meaning something like "foreigner" or "lowly
native". I'm moderately sure that the Cornish/Cornwelsh held out a bit
longer and sent emigres to what would then become Bretagne, which had, like
the rest of "France"/Gaul been Celtic speaking too, before Roman culture
and the Latin Language completely dominated, though I know not whether they
be P- or Q-Celts.
Eventually there was a gradual (5thC or so) domination of the Western
Isles of Scotland by Q-Celts, the Scots, who successfully penetrated
further east. There is almost no historical record for that place and time,
but by the 9th Century they have united to become the Kingdom of the Picts
and Scots, whose Gaelic speaking culture extended south including
Northumbria nad Westmoreland.
The ethnic shuffling did not by any means end there, but let's stop, eh?
Oddly enough preliminary genetic studies seem to show that up to 70% of
the aboriginal (i.e. pre-Celtic) genome is still in the population of the
region, suggesting the same old story of the same-cake-with-different-icing
supplanting of one ruling class by another, with the lowly peons being much
the same right through.
And now on to my next post. john