Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Thu May 24, 2001  3:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] back muscles cramping?

In a message dated 5/24/01 3:16:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rtpeacoc@e... writes:
rtpeacoc@e... writes:

<< when I try to take in a good breath using the lower part of the rib
cage, where it never caused trouble before, I find that it now makes
the back muscles (on one side or the other -- it's happened on both
sides), just above the bottom of the rib cage and near the spine,
cramp. They also cramp at night when I shift into an "arched"
postion, or in the morning when I stretch, again arching the back.

I've started calcium supplements, in case that's the cause, but no
luck so far.

My teacher is sick so I can't ask her so far...but the cramping is
affecting my singing --it's hard to sing, especially low notes that
need a lot of support, when you're in muscle-cramp pain...

Robin, do you do any flexibility / relaxation / strengthening exercises and
stretching? If not, you should be. Maybe a physical therapist or some
licensed expert could guide you to the regimen you need to follow. Maybe
your family or primary care physician can direct you to one.

emusic.com