Vocalist.org archive

From:  chenweijie81@y...
chenweijie81@y...
Date:  Thu May 24, 2001  5:13 am
Subject:  Re: Who are hautes-contres?

Dear Michael and list,
I have heard of the two sound clips from the website.It's
obviously a high voice which I must admit.It's definitely a guy
singing.Even my sis can hear that.However it doesn't really touch my
heart so much.That is considered as T1 (the higher tenor) in the
choir if he was to be categorized.From the way I hear from the two
sound clips,it is indeed hard to imagine that the tenor altino could
go sing very high since his voice is already so high.To a certain
point,I would think he won't be able to go any more higher since the
voice would sound feminine without the support/link from his lower
chest voice.I mean it seems as though he is using head voice most of
the time.Any comments are welcome but please try to explain with
reasons.Although I can reach G4 with much ease,I would still think
that it won't be as light as what the haute-contre sing G4.Maybe it's
the characteristics and fach of my voice.

From 19yr old baritone who isn't taking any voice lessons but just
singing in the choir
Weijie

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., >

http://www.guitarfoundation.org/hezy.html). The singer refers to
> himself as a "tenor altino" which I think is more or less the same
as
> a "haute-contre" - a natural high voice with an easy "gear change"
> into a light production. As another example, I believe British
tenor
> Rogers Covey-Crump, heard on many recordings with the Hilliard
> Ensemble and other groups, is a haute-contre.
>
> As I believe Tako and others have pointed out, above a certain
pitch
> it is generally believed that all of the higher male voices
> (countertenor, "alto", tenor-altino, haute-contre, sopranist) do
the
> same thing (that is, use a similar kind of vocal registration), so
the
> distinction is really what happens in somewhat lower pitch ranges.
> think that haute-contres sing through the passagio (say up to say
G4 -
> above middle C - or even higher for some) much as tenors, but then
> instead of going into an "operatic" type head-voice they go into a
> more counter-tenor like head-voice. Certain barbershop "tenors"
fit
> this description - I think particularly of Gene Cokeroft of the
famous
> Suntones - if I get a chance I'll post a short clip of Gene.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Gordon

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12143 Re: Who are hautes-contres? Tako Oda   Thu  5/24/2001   3 KB
12152 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chosdad@c...   Thu  5/24/2001   2 KB
12160 Re: Who are hautes-contres? Tako Oda   Fri  5/25/2001   2 KB
12162 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chosdad@c...   Fri  5/25/2001   2 KB
12425 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chenweijie81@y...   Mon  6/4/2001   4 KB
12442 Re: Who are hautes-contres? Tako Oda   Mon  6/4/2001   3 KB
12151 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chosdad@c...   Thu  5/24/2001   3 KB
12424 Re: Who are hautes-contres? chenweijie81@y...   Mon  6/4/2001   4 KB

emusic.com