Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Wed May 23, 2001  7:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Scottish sacred solo

In a message dated 5/23/01 3:46:29 PM, dorisopran@a... writes:

<< Judy, I don't think any of those are Scottish. I'm rather sure that "Be
thou
My Vision" and "My Shepherd Will Supply.." are Irish. "For All the Saints"
is very, very English. Brother James' Air ... maybe! I'll check my hymnal.

I know they're not Scottish, in fact I agree that they all may be Irish.
(Actually, my sheet music for My Shepherd Will Supply" identifies it as a
Southern hymn--but that never quite rang true to my way of thinking. Whatever
its origin, I think it has a certain quality that makes it seem appropriate
to me.)

But I believe that the request was for Scottish or Celtic. Aren't the Irish
Celts?

And there are also lots of wonderful Welsh hymns--not sure whether the Welsh
would be considered a Celtic people. Anybody know?

Purists may have a problem with this but personally, I'm a "mutt" with a bit
of all three, plus plenty of English and German with a little American Indian
thrown in for flavor--so I don't mind mixing things up! ;-)

Judy

emusic.com