Vocalist.org archive

From:  Fiona Chow <fionat@i...>
Fiona Chow <fionat@i...>
Date:  Tue May 22, 2001  6:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Repertoire search

> I was given these lyrics by a colleague who wants to know the composer
> and the name of the piece they are from. The only bits of information
> he had was that it was recorded in 1937, and was possibly written by
> Handel!

Hi Craig,

Yup - it's by Handel all right, and is from L'allegro. It's called Let me
wander.. Or let the merry bells. As far as I recall (and you know, I
haven't heard it that many times) the Let me Wander part is a recit and
the merry bells is the aria. And I think it is scored for tenor. In any
case, I have the music somewhere - do you need/want it?

There is also more than one recording out there - the one that comes to
mind is of a tenor.. Alfred something or other. Sorry, I'm not terribly
helpful tonight, but I can go a-hunting if you need more help.

Fiona
lover of Handel (but you already knew THAT!)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12071 Re: Repertoire search Jeffrey Snider   Tue  5/22/2001   2 KB

emusic.com