Vocalist.org archive

From:  sjdr9523@y...
sjdr9523@y...
Date:  Mon May 21, 2001  10:46 pm
Subject:  Re: Grad School Dilemma

Hi Molly,

I don't know where you're auditioning, but one poor grade shouldn't
really affect your performance-based scholarship at most grad schools.
Assistantships are another thing, but still, one class shouldn't make
much difference unless it's in the area you are applying for the
assistantship in.

As for Italy: Which program is this, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, I would strongly encourage you to not go into debt for this
kind of program, particularly if you're really 'still paying for last
year.' If there's a way you can get most of it taken care of then it
may be a valuable experience, that's for you to decide, but I wouldn't
let loyalty to a teacher cloud my judgement if I were you. Realize
that these programs are good money-makers for the people in charge:
$3500 times what, 20? 30? that's $70,000! If they expect you to 'help
out,' then something needs to be in it for you, because you can be sure
they aren't doing it for nothing.

For less money than this you could work with a voice teacher and vocal
coach in your area all summer long, and still have some money left over
from working to pay off your debt, save a little something, and buy
some scores and CDs. If you can find a nice job back home (pays well,
low stress, you can study music on the job a little bit), then you're
set. You can also put some time into building your local network: make
connections with other local performers, organize and give concerts
with them, find a sponsor or two, research local grants, make friends
in high places, etc...

that's what I think, anyway. Good luck w/ everything. And yes, Verdi
rules.

-John

emusic.com