Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon May 21, 2001  6:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: wgms (fwd)

>From: Greypins@a...
> perhaps an appeal could be made to delay the broadcast to a time when
>the larger majority is not listening, thereby, giving the station a chance
>recoup the audience it has lost by dropping the broadcasts. if that still
>proves to undoable, perhaps an appeal could be made to play some opera at
>some time that is not going to go against the logic of the initial
>decision.
>
>mike

That, unfortunately, was a factor in KDFC's decision to drop the Met
broadcasts. They were starting at 11:00 am (or earlier for Wagner) here on
the Left Coast, and KDFC management wanted to delay the broadcast until the
afternoon. The Met management refused; apparently a condition of carrying
the broadcasts is that they must be LIVE live, not tape-delayed.

Oh, well. To hear the opera mavens tell it, we probably hear better singing
at the approximately 837 tiny opera companies in the Bay Area. If only I
could pick up KAZU (Pacific Grove) on *this* side of the Santa Cruz
mountains.

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt