Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Wed Apr 26, 2000  11:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: Press Releases

>From: Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>

>Fiona Chow wrote:
>
> > Ah ha! I have a question - how does one go about writing a press
> > release? What should be contained within one, how long should it be and
> > whom should it be addressed?
>
>Open your local paper to the arts section and read some of the hype about
>shows,
>
>new release albums, plays, etc. Then construct a similar message with the
>facts, where it takes place, times, dates, who should attend, and other
>information you think should be known. Don't do fancy writing, 'Just the
>facts
>m'am'
>
>Put PRESS RELEASE and the date as the header on the piece of paper and sign
>it
>with your name, address and phone, and send it to whatever paper you want
>it to
>appear in with the envelope adressed to EDITOR (newspaper) and on the lower
>right hand corner of the envelops write, 'PRESS RELEASE - DATED.'
>
>That's all.

I'd add two things to Dean's excellent instructions:

1) Before sending the press release out, read it over and make sure you have
ALL the pertinent facts in there! Date, time, location of venue, ticket
price (if any). Also include a number that the newspaper can call for
details or confirmation (or to get a pass for the music critic!)-- some
papers won't run the listing or story without that. Mark the number "NOT
FOR PUBLICATION" if you don't want it printed.

2) Check deadlines for the publications where you want the information to
appear, and get the materials out *promptly*. Figure on at *least* 10 days
to two weeks ahead of time for a weekend arts section in the daily paper, or
a community weekly. Monthly magazines usually have a six- to eight-week
lead time.

Plus, check spelling, grammar, address and/or fax number, all that stuff.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...
GO SHARKS!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read." --Groucho Marx