Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu May 17, 2001  4:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] was it really?

> I understand that it was indeed her singing and that furthermore, she sang
> the Eliza Doolittle songs while filming My Fair Lady, and they (some of the
> powers that were) were considering not dubbing in someone else, but there
> were a few weak moments in some of the higher passages. I understand there
> is a version of the film extant with her singing, and it is reputedly quite
> competent and charming. I'd love to see it.

I did see it. I think it ran on "E" a couple of years back.
It's lucky for her she didn't sing the songs in the actual
movie, because she definitely did not have the vocal skills
to sing that music. Her range was limited, and she could do
nothing with her voice. She could sing the notes, barely.
They were right to use a ghost singer, though I think it
would have been better to cast Julie Andrews who COULD sing
the role AND act it. As much as I love Audrey Hepburn, she
should have done a remake of Shaw's Pygmalion and let a real
singer do My Fair Lady.

BTW, she also sings in Funny Face (w/Fred Astaire), and does
it charmingly - but the music she sang in that movie
demanded much less vocally, and her other assets and basic
musicality made up for lack of vocal skills.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com