Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Wed May 16, 2001  8:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Voice Cuts Out

In a message dated 05/16/2001 9:10:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kjensen@c... writes:

<< another possibility is that she's trying to blow too much air on the
>high notes. less air goes through the folds on the higher pitches and, if
>she is trying to blow too large a volume of air through them on a high
pitch,
>something will give.

Karen,
I'm going to go with Mike on this one. But, first off, it's extremely
important that she be examined by a reputable laryngologist. I would even go
as far to suggest that she be examined using stroboscopy. Hopefully you can
find an ENT that specializes in voice disorders. So many of them don't, and
they will miss the smaller things that don't cause the general speaking
public much problem, but can totally mess up those of us who use our singing
voices professionally.
Having said that, if she checks out okay...............I'd betcha it is a
technical problem. Sounds like a lot of extrinsic muscle action that can be
activated by a number of things. The most common culprit is that too much air
pressue is being used and as one ascends that "squeezing off" sound will
happen. Secondly, if she is using a ton of air to initiate a sound, try
working on balanced onsets..........by bringing the folds to a closer
prephonatory position it will take less air for her to initiate phonation and
sustain it. Therefore the folds will be able to sustain phonation on their
own, without any help from the extrinsic muscles in balancing too much air
pressure. Last, is to check out the vowels she is using when she cuts
off...........as we've discussed ad nauseum on the list, different vowels at
different pitch levels will hinder or enhance the pitch making process.

Lots of luck !
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com