Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Wed May 16, 2001  5:30 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Mellow Yellow (Quite Rightly)

>From: Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
>
>I always thought in the case of this song it was less about drug culture
>than the Indian mystical craze that people like Donovan, the Beatles (esp
>George Harrison), Pete Townshend, and even (very briefly) Mick Jagger were
>getting into at the end of the '60s as an alternative to the drug culture.
>
>I take the imagery in Donovan's song, then, to be meditation- rather than
>hallucinogenic-drug induced
>
>KM

Makes sense to me. The color yellow has connotations of good fortune in
Hindu culture; the lovely flower garlands used for most occasions are often
made with marigolds. And, as a cook, I can attest that saffron creates a
real mellow yellow in many dishes. Turmeric is even more yellow, albeit of
a sharper taste.

Elizabeth Finkler (who made cauliflower and tomato curry last night)
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt

11955 Re: Mellow Yellow (Quite Rightly) Greypins@a...   Wed  5/16/2001   2 KB
11962 Mellow Yellow (Quite Rightly) Ernie Valenzuela   Wed  5/16/2001   3 KB
11964 Whatever became of... (was: Mellow Yellow (Quite Karen Mercedes   Wed  5/16/2001   3 KB
11981 Re: Mellow Yellow (Quite Rightly) Elizabeth Finkler   Thu  5/17/2001   2 KB
12020 Re: Mellow Yellow (Quite Rightly) Margaret Harrison   Fri  5/18/2001   3 KB

emusic.com