Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue May 15, 2001  10:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] why are operas underrehearsed?

From: Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
>My friend and I were discussing this yesterday. I wondered whether it
>would be possible, at the local/regional level to establish a repertory
>opera company that based its performance preparation on the repertory
>theatre company model: i.e., an opera company using all local talent, so
>the issue of the cost of flying in big name singers doesn't exist.

As it happens, Opera San Jose operates in a similar fashion. The company
hires "resident artists" who are housed in the area, train and work work
work on several roles a season. Chorus and comprimario singers are also
engaged locally.

Thanks to that system (and a requirement that all principals be at all
staging rehearsals, even when the other cast is rehearsing), OSJ productions
generally work as musical *dramas*, as well as being well-sung. Also means
that the company does a fair number of new and not-so-often performed works,
in addition to those subscriber-pleasing war horses.

[Oh all right, I'll admit it: I auditioned for the company last week, and
really hope I get hired, if only because that drive to San Francisco is
getting pretty old.]

Pocket Opera (my last opera job!) also hires locally and does about a dozen
different operas a season, thanks to its small-scale productions. (The
"outside" set for "The Two Widows" consisted of some garden chairs and two
large potted plants, representing trees.)

Go for it, Karen!

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt

ODivaTina@a...gsanders@b...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11921 Re: why are operas underrehearsed? ODivaTina@a...   Tue  5/15/2001   2 KB
11922 Re: why are operas underrehearsed? Colin Reed   Tue  5/15/2001   2 KB
11942 Re: why are operas underrehearsed? gsanders@b...   Wed  5/16/2001   2 KB
11924 repertory system and local opera Isabelle Bracamonte   Tue  5/15/2001   6 KB
11931 Re: repertory system and local opera Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  5/16/2001   5 KB
11941 Re: repertory system and local opera Karen Mercedes   Wed  5/16/2001   4 KB
11951 Re: repertory system and local opera thomas mark montgomery   Wed  5/16/2001   2 KB
11986 Re: why are operas underrehearsed? Margaret Harrison   Thu  5/17/2001   4 KB

emusic.com