Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Sat May 12, 2001  10:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Sight-reading IS important

> There is a part of this discussion that interests me
> a lot. I would like to
> see how many of you who consider yourselves to be
> good sight-readers (I do)
> have trouble with memorization (again, I do!).

I'm a pretty good sight reader, as long as it's tonal,
and I memorize fairly quickly. They are two completely
different techniques, however, and I use them
separately, which is perhaps why I'm good at both.

I also agree that the ability to sight read, as well
as having a basic understanding of theory are
essential parts of being a musician, regardless of the
instrument played (I consider voice to be an
instrument in this context).

Jennifer