Vocalist.org archive

From:  "jjh" <jjh@n...>
Date:  Wed Apr 26, 2000  3:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Digest Number 61

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Jameson Linville wrote:

> Is it acceptable for a high school senior to give a recital - sort of a
> going away type theme? If it is, does one invite prospective
> employers, college admissions folks? How long is a typical recital of this
> sort? Also, any repertoire ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Dear Jameson and Vocalist:

I think it's very appropriate if your teacher thinks you're ready to do it,
both vocally and mentally. I've had several high school students give
senior recitals in the past. These students have tied their recital into a
graduation party or reception, which sort of kills two birds with one stone.
That might solve your invitation dilemma.

For the length, I've kept these recitals to about half an hour. Repertoire
could include anything age-appropriate, but think variety! A variety of
languages and styles will keep your audience interested.

Good luck to you!

Jana
--
Jana Holzmeier