Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Fri May 11, 2001  6:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Sight-reading IS important

In a message dated 5/11/01 12:24:43 PM, smschneider@e... writes:

<< Get your skills together as far as your ability will take you, and stop
denigrating their importance just because you don't see it. Or learn to see
where they can take you and get to work. Once you start to develop the
skills, you'll see their importance more and more clearly because using
those skills will make you perform at new levels of expression and
intelligence. It's not just about being able to sing a piece at sight.
That's only the beginning. >>

Susan,

You won't get any disagreement from me. But there are many, many skills that
are valuable for classical singers, and prioritizing them can be a worthwhile
exercise (eg--should I learn to play piano, study languages, movement, etc.)
I seriously doubt that anyone posting here intended to say that basic skills
such as reading music and sight singing aren't very valuable.

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11817 Re: Sight-reading IS important Isabelle Bracamonte   Fri  5/11/2001   4 KB

emusic.com