Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
"David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Fri May 11, 2001  4:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Sight-reading IS important

I happen to agree that sight singing is an essential (in the sense that it
makes us "musicians", not in the sense that you can't live without it) part
of our craft. I hate it when people make the jokes about vocalists being
"singers" and not "musicians." Having an aversion to reading music only
encourages (and lends truth to) such jokes.

There is a part of this discussion that interests me a lot. I would like to
see how many of you who consider yourselves to be good sight-readers (I do)
have trouble with memorization (again, I do!). Have there been any studies
on this phenomenon, and is there really a correlation?

Thanks for your insights here...
David Grogan
ETBU Music
Marshall, Texas
dgrogan@e...
dgrogan@e...

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Author unknown