Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Fri May 11, 2001  2:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Favourite Psalm Settings (was: Urgent repertoire help needed)

In a message dated 5/11/01 9:32:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dalila@R...
writes:

<< My copy of "Out of the Depths" is for soloist. Don't know if there's also
a choral version - I've never seen one.

Karen, I must have missed the post you are replying to. Would that be the
Mozart de profundis? The one I know is choral.

Then there are the Handel Chandos Anthems for SSTB, although, some modern
editions are SATB. (Reputedly, the Duke the Chandos had an aversion to the
male altos in the Anglican chapels of the time, who sounded nothing like our
lovely counter tenors of today.) These anthems --- all psalm settings ---
are cantatas full of duets and solos as well as beautiful choruses. Plenty
of the movements can be used separately. Glowing examples are three tenor -
soprano duets: "Wash me thoroughly from my wickedness," "O worship the Lord
in the beauty of holiness," and "for the Lord is Gracious; His mercy is
everlasting."

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11802 Re: Favourite Psalm Settings (was: Urgent reperto Karen Mercedes   Fri  5/11/2001   2 KB

emusic.com