Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri May 11, 2001  1:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] grumpy mozart tenor is back!

In a message dated 5/10/2001 10:27:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
peggyh@i... writes:
peggyh@i... writes:

<< How about comparing "My Dinner with Andre" to "Saving
Private Ryan"?

peggy,

i was thinking more along the lines of 'my dinner with andre' to 'star
wars'.

i think the term 'lieder singer' can be generic as well as specific.
usage has far more on the meaning of a term than a contracted definition,
'gay' being an obvious example.

so, perhaps there is more of a commonality in the lieder singer, the
cabaret singer and the coffee house singer than there is in the lieder singer
and the opera singer, just as a golfer has more in common with a bi-athlete
(skiing and shooting) than he/she/it has in common with a baseball player,
though the golfer may share more technique with the baseball player
(equipment and swing plane being the largest diferences).

mike

emusic.com