Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Martha Merrill" <mem_79@h...>
"Martha Merrill" <mem_79@h...>
Date:  Fri May 11, 2001  7:20 am
Subject:  Re: Belting

I realize that the most common use of the term "belting" in music refers to
the 'musical theatre/strong voice', but one of the earlier comments lead me
to believe that the question did not have to do with that definition. The
original poster may need to jump in, but I remember my voice teacher using
the term 'belting' to refer to a type of breathing technique, (imagining a
belt around the chest that would expand as you inhaled but you didn't want
it to fall down as you exhaled on a tone...sort of the 'big round beach
ball' imagery put into a different form.) I was never very good at it, and
didn't stick with lessons long enough to work on it so my description may be
off.

Anyway, that's my two cents,
Martha Merrill