Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Apr 26, 2000  3:17 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: I'm all choked up

Laura Sharp wrote:

> And would you describe Callas' performances this way? Just curious.

> From: John Alexander Blyth [mailto:BLYTHE@B...]
> "We are storytellers who, by the force and conviction of our performance
> evoke an emotional resonance in an observer which is a disciplined and
> aesthetic analogue of the kind of emotion a real-life event might produce.
> ok, i'll stop now. john

I would - Callas was incredibly disciplined - absolutely everything she did -
her voice,
her movements, her eyes - were done with the musical phrase. This is what
makes us feel
the emotions she's conveying so incredibly strongly. I love that video of her
performance
with orchestra in Germany - especially the part before she starts singing,
while the
orchestra's playing. Before she sings, she does exactly the same thing she
does while she
sings - embodies the musical phrases with every inch of her being.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com