Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  2:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] reading skills or rather a lack thereof.........

Does anyone else find that when one sight-reads a piece for the first
time, one's vocal technique pretty much goes out the window? I find that
when I'm going through new music for the first few times, for some reason
I am completely unable to sustain decent technique. I slip into all sorts
of bad vocal habits that I would never dream of engaging in when actually
performing, or even when I'm farther along in the learning process. This
is one of the main reasons that I don't put myself into many situations
where I have to sight-read in public. Not only would my "just passable"
sight reading make a bad impression on its own, but my lapsed vocal
production would surely drive the final nail in the coffin of any good
impression I might otherwise make as a singer.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html