Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  3:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] reading skills or rather a lack thereof.........

nande,

if you can seperate reading rhythm from reading pitch and conquer
reading rhythm first, you will be doing yourself a favor. it is a lot
easier to become proficient at reading rhythm in a short time and requires
less knowledge to do so. also, if you are in the right place at the right
time, you'll have a good chance of stumbling onto the right pitch. looking
at it another way, if you have the right pitch in the wrong place, it IS the
wrong pitch.

robert shaw once said "50% of all tuning problems are the result of poor
rhythm" and beethoven once said (supposedly) "there is an excuse for playing
wrong notes. there is no excuse for playing a wrong rhythm."

the only reason to fear written music is if you don't know what it
means. everything i have ever been able to do in music has been based on
what my high school music theory teacher taught me. so, if you can find a
course in music theory, it might save you a lot of trouble.

mike

emusic.com