Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Nande" <denanny@h...>
"Nande" <denanny@h...>
Date:  Wed May 9, 2001  8:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] reading skills or rather a lack thereof.........

In my, still limited, experience, most musicians do indeed play their
music by heart. Indeed, I've seen some concertante opera's where the
soloists were glued to their books. Personally, I do not mind.
We do accept books in choirs and orchestra's, don't we?
The reason actors don't run around with scripts etc. in thair hands,
is because they can improvise and get the right message across.
(classical) singers and musicians have much less freedom in that
department, so they probably feel more need to carry sheets of paper
around...
But hey, I could be wrong.....

Nande

> P.S. This discussion has provoked me to write the following rant.
I'm
> probably overstating my case, but see what you think:
>
> It is amazing to me what nonsense is accepted as o.k. in the
> classical music world. I go to a concert and I expect the musicians
> to know the music inside and out, but there they are on the stage
> buried in a book. Would we accept that from an actor? Only in a
> reading, not in a performance for which we pay real money. Would we
> accept that from a pop singer, or a folk singer? Only at a very low
> level, like a high-school coffee house, and even there it is not
done
> by many performers. So why is the same behavior accepted in the
> classical music world? I think it is a shame. Maybe a performance
> that includes the use of sheet music should be advertised as a
> recital (as in "recite"), rather than a concert (as in "concerted"),
> so that the audience would be told in advance what to expect.
>
> http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
> http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11708 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Thu  5/10/2001   2 KB
11713 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Thu  5/10/2001   2 KB
11725 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Karen Mercedes   Thu  5/10/2001   4 KB

emusic.com