Vocalist.org archive

From:  "stjames" <stjames@l...>
"stjames" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Wed May 9, 2001  8:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] reading skills or rather a lack thereof.........

> In my experience, one learns almost any skill by practicing it. One
learns
> to sight read by sight reading. The best place I know to do this is in a
> church choir, where a group prepares one or two new anthems per Sunday in
> one short weekly rehearsal. This means one usually develops one's reading
> skills in the process. After a 36-year career as a professional church
> singer, I am an excellent sight reader!

james here....

I second Dr Clarks idea. I was an OK sightreader but became an excellent one
after several years of being a "ringer" is church
choirs. There is a great benefit to sight-reading well; you don't have to
spend so much time pounding notes to learn rep and can move quickly to the
fund part, the actual singing. You also don't waste time in coaching's
learning notes and can work on polish, style and diction.

james

emusic.com