Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Nande" <denanny@h...>
"Nande" <denanny@h...>
Date:  Wed May 9, 2001  4:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] reading skills or rather a lack thereof.........

> It sounds to
> me that you learn the music through a combination of listening to
> recordings and study of the score. I suspect that you actually
> memorize it whether you realize it or not.

Yep, all the music I ever studied (or heard, for that matter) is
recorded in my brain....

Then, under presure, you
> go to the score for assistance that you don't find. As you say,
"the
> notes in fornt of me do not help". If that's correct, then I
suggest
> when you perform you do not hold and look at any paper with black
> marks.

I know I really don't need to, but somehow, when I have the paper in
front of me, I cannot help but look at ik while singing. I'm afraid
I'll miss or forget anything (words, for instance)when I don't look.
I'm holding on too tight, I think.

I suspect that those who suggested you improve your reading
> could see that you were nervous and things got worse as you buried
> yourself in the page.

They certainly did, because I told them. (I was litterally shaking!)
It's like "Oh my God, that went wrong! Why did I do that? Oh oh,
another mistake!" It's like getting caught in a cobweb. The harder I
try to get out, the more stuck I get! (Story of my life....:-))

> Remember that when we say "Do you have your music with you?" to
mean
> "Do you have your paper with black marks on it with you?" we are
> speaking nonsense. The music is not on the paper, it is within you!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11678 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Wed  5/9/2001   4 KB
11690 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Wed  5/9/2001   3 KB
11708 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Thu  5/10/2001   2 KB
11713 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Thu  5/10/2001   2 KB
11725 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Karen Mercedes   Thu  5/10/2001   4 KB

emusic.com