Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue May 8, 2001  8:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Lieder vs Opera WAS: grumpy mozart tenor is back!

In a message dated 5/8/2001 2:49:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, toda@m...
writes:

<<
I remember a section in Vennard that shows waveform diagrams of famous
singers singing opera and "concert" music, and there was a distinct
difference in the amount of vibrato used (more for opera), even for
the same singer.

That probably is because greater volumes generally require more
vibrato, and greater volumes are generally required in opera. Not sure
that would qualify as a different technique altogether, simply a
single technique being used appropriately in different venues.>>

the lieder recordings of kipnis, hotter and siepi (i have only heard
'live' concert recordings in the case of siepi) support this notion. there
is a richness in all three voices that is lost when singing opera. (that
may be a subjective observation but, there is a difference that would be
noticed by anyone).

<<There are techniques that some lieder singers use that some bel canto
purists frown upon - like feigned voice and breathiness, simply
because it wouldn't work in opera, and it is not properly "on the
breath". To that I say "who cares?" A singer should always use their
various abilites to best effect in every situation. Efficient
production doesn't necessarily equal beautiful artistry.>>

obviously (to anyone who knows or, is sick of me), i join you in the
"who cares?" sentiment. with regard to efficient production, a production
is only efficient if it produces the desired result. to judge a singer's
production for the sake of performing by one set of criterions by a different
set of criterions, that may be necessary for another type of performing, is
absurd. succeeding in the execution of that production (of the former) can
only result in the judging of the purpose, not the method. considering the
health of a particular production, whatever it may be and independent of its
purpose, is a consideration of health, not art.

mike

emusic.com