Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
"Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Mon May 7, 2001  8:54 pm
Subject:  Re: trying so hard and still not good enough

Hi Clarissa:
I'm a voice teacher, performer, writer - among other things.
At 19, you still have a long way to go to develop your talent.
If people say that "you have potential", they are seeing what
you could be in the future. I read somewhere that women
singers hit their peak at 40 years of age. So, you have 21
more years before you reach your FULL potential if you
subscribe to this way of thinking.
I found your marks to be quite high for your jury and
wish that you could accept them with pleasure. After all,
you said yourself that you had been ill and your voice was
not in 100 percent condition so those marks are even more
amazing considering your physical condition.
Taking criticism (and giving it) is a very difficult position to
be in. As a teacher, I want to encourage my students but
I can't just say "You're wonderful" all the time or they wouldn't
develop. If I adjudicate other teacher's students, it's the same.
I will point out strengths but I must also give them direction
and areas that need development.
If you truly are dedicated to your art: work hard...listen carefully
to anyone who has more knowledge than you do...develop your
instrument and your talent to its heights...and then GO DO IT!
Good luck,
jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre
and
Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway

"There's no business like show business"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11650 Re: trying so hard and still not good enough John Alexander Blyth   Mon  5/7/2001   3 KB

emusic.com