Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon May 7, 2001  3:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Song Cycles

A cycle of songs you could have fun with is Edward German's THE JUST SO
SONGBOOK, which are settings of texts by Rudyard Kipling.

You might also look at the George Butterworth cycle "Six Songs from 'A
Shropshire Lad'", as well as his other five or so settings of AE Housman's
poetry.

Peter Warlock wrote some lovely art songs that are short and sweet, so can
be sung beautifully and affectingly without needing tremendous stamina.
My favourites by him are "Late Summer", "Rest, Sweet Nymphs", and "The
Droll Lover", among others.

You might also look at some of the songs by Paolo Tosti, like "L'Ultima
Canzone" and "La Serenata". Very often done by tenors, yet one of my
favourite recordings of Tosti's songs is done by bass-baritone Ruggero
Raimondi.

Also consider art songs by Schubert (e.g., Winterreise), Schumann, and
Wolf (my favourites are his Moericke-Lieder).

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html