Vocalist.org archive

From:  "AWRoss" <ross415@s...>
"AWRoss" <ross415@s...>
Date:  Sun May 6, 2001  2:12 pm
Subject:  Re:Trying so hard

I know this may not help, but I have to tell you what I tell my daughters
and every other young singer I hear: Just have fun and remember why you are
here.

My older daughter just got ready for college auditions, singing her first
really intense, opera pieces. She sounded ... well ... let's just say she
wasn't as good as she usually is for weeks of practice. Finally, I, who am
not a voice teacher but just someone who loves to sing and loves to listen
to my girls sing, told her to please...have fun and sing like HERSELF. The
change was amazing. Suddenly, it sounded good...and by the way, she did
beautifully, made the music school and won a full four-year scholarship. So
it must have worked.

I say the same kind of thing to my younger daughter, who is, if anything,
even better than her sister if not as technically excellent. Honey, remember
that you are doing this because you love it...have fun...please. It usually
works, when they remember.

It may not get you better juries, but I think you will be a lot happier if
you just remember that you are singing because it is something you have
loved all your life...do it because you love it, and I'll bet the grades
will follow. And...one more thing...look happy when you sing. I know it
won't improve your grade, but it will make you feel better.

Abby, whose greatest blessing is having little girls who sing to her (and
they're not so little any more)

> hey yall,
> I just wanted to say that I get SOOO frustrated!!! I mean it seems as
> if no matter how hard I try or how well I sing, I am never good
> enouogh.

emusic.com